Saturday, 24 November 2012

2012 Bandon River Brown Trout of the Year

Well done to Colm Dooly for catching Brown Trout of Year for the Bandon River 2012
Bandon Angling Association

Fly Fishing Ireland

Agencies clash over salmon farm plans (published from independent.ie)

TWO government agencies have clashed over plans for a massive deep sea salmon farm off the west coast, which backers say will create 500 jobs. Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) claims it will bring in less than half the employment forecast by the promoters, Bord Iascaigh Mhara (BIM). The seafood agency has applied for a licence to produce 15,000 tonnes of organic-certified salmon each year in Galway bay, in waters 1.7km off Inis Oirr on the Aran Islands. But conservationists in the IFI said they have serious concerns over the location and scale of the farm. The IFI said fears over damage to native habitats and angling are based on science, which found sea lice has devastating effects on wild salmon stocks accounting for up to 39pc of mortalities in stocks. The IFI also disputes the 500 jobs figure and said that based on 2007 production and employment statistics only 202 jobs will be created. It also said proposals for two offshore farms off Mayo and Donegal should be shelved until agencies are satisfied the deep sea plan does not risk Ireland's €230m recreational angling industry. BIM has said its farm plan would produce salmon worth €102m a year and local wages of about €14.5m.
- Ed CartyAgencies clash over salmon farm plans via @independent_ie

Diseases and Parasites in Farmed Salmon
http://www.puresalmon.org/pdfs/diseases.pdf

Incidence and impacts of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon
http://www.nina.no/archive/nina/PppBasePdf/temahefte/036.pdf

Please copy this poster and Share it.

300 x 380px Share on your Website, Facebook etc..


Monday, 12 November 2012

Bandon Drainage Sceme Suspended

Residents and business owners in the town of Bandon have been left completely in the dark this week over the sudden suspension of works on the €3.95 million Bandon Sewerage Scheme which had only begun less than six months ago.
A statement from Cork County Council on Monday said the work "has been suspended due to events beyond the control of either party". It is understood that SIAC Construction who were awarded the contract to undertake the works will demobilize immediately and make safe works already undertaken and Cork County Council anticipate that this contract will be re-advertised as soon as possible.
The Mayor of Bandon, Cllr Gillian Coughlan has expressed her deep concern at the announcement that works have been suspended.
"I am extremely disappointed that work has ground to a halt on Bandon's Main Drainage Scheme. This essential upgrade to the drainage infrastructure which was to separate storm water from foul water was welcomed by residents and businesses alike that were affected by the devastating floods of 2009. While it has been observed that progress had been slow, with less than 10 per cent of the contract completed, it was devastating to learn that works will now cease indefinitely," said Ms Coughlan.
"I am calling on Cork County Council to put this contract to tender again as quickly as possible and to ensure that the funds that were earmarked for this project do not suddenly disappear. It is imperative that work recommences as soon as possible to allay the fears of residents and business people in Bandon as we face a long winter.
"I am mindful that jobs will be lost as a result of this announcement and I am disappointed that the problems between the contractors and Cork County Council could not have been addressed and rectified to the benefit of all," she said.
The contract for the commencement of works was signed in March of this year and the scope of the contract included 14.6km of pipelines, 272 manholes and two pumping stations and the tender submitted by SIAC Construction Ltd was just under €3.95m. The contract was to involve the upgrade and expansion of the sewerage collection network and in addition provides for flood relief works with the construction of tow storm pumping stations and works had already taken place on Watergate Street.
Labour Cllr GearĂ³id Buckley has now called on the Minister of State with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works, Mr Brian Hayes to commit the necessary funding to complete the project which he admitted that although there were many issues with the project, a significant amount of work was still completed.
"Cork County Council will now go back to the drawing board, re-evaluate the works and submit for tender once again," said Mr Buckley.
"Due to legal negotiations between both parties it will remain unknown why the contract has been suspended. However one can see that the project ran into several issues over the past number of months. Initially the historical process and subsequent surveys, along with our bad summer weather ensured immediate delays. Coupled with the resignation of the consulting engineers, WYG Engineering, the project ran into many difficulties at such an early stage."
SIAC Construction are also the lead contractors for the construction of flyovers at the Bandon Road and Sarsfield Roundabout and they have refused to comment at this latest development regarding the suspension of works in Bandon.